Friday, November 26, 2010

"Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude."

Sorry I've been away from my blog so long. I'm not sure where the last six months have gone. It's the day after Thanksgiving and I just returned from what I call, "The Land of Food is Love".
My parents, well mostly dad, is a food pusher. He shows his love by showering me with my favorite foods.

We had T-giving at my brother's house in Connecticut and he did all the prep and cooking himself. We drive up on Wednesday and come home on Friday and that is about all the time I can spend in the land o' food is love. Luckily Thanksgiving food is not the type of food that calls my name and taunts me to eat more than a serving at dinner. It's the constant food dodging I must do around the meals that's hard. The pumpkin pie my dad made for me to take home, the bags of candy my dad always brings, the constand reminders that there's food available. No matter how many times I say "No thanks." There's another selection offered. I don't want to make this blog entry about that. Instead I want to mention that it's weekends and holidays like this that can get me thinking about my over all health and body and weight and how in the past it may have catapulted me into lots of guilt and negative thoughts. But this year I'm taking a new approach.

You know there's nothing like a hotel mirror to lay it all out there. Why do hotels always seem to have mirrors directly across from the shower? There is no escaping the hotel mirror. But this time it didn't freak me out so much and I think it's because over the past year I have gotten so much better about not beating myself up and not giving in to negative thoughts about how I think I look, or should look. I have to say the positve thoughts are winning. It hasn't been an easy battle but every day I get a little better at it. I looked in the mirror and thought to myself, "It doesn't matter how I think I look, I look fine." When I saw my reflection I actually thought, "I do look fine". Imperfectly fine. Room for improvement? Yes, but fine none the less.

On our drive home I decided not to wait till the new year to make a resolution. And so my New Year's-end Resolution is to take the month of December and do two nice things for myself every day. I'm going to exercise and eat really well every day until the end of the year. It's going to be a crazy month and it will fly. In those moments when things are at their craziest I'm going to take a breath and remind myself the only things I HAVE to do on any given day in December are two nice things for myself. I love how exercise makes me feel and healthy food actually tastes pretty good. Some days I'm sure will be easier than others and no matter how I do, I know I will be fine, imperfectly fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I go, I would like to give a shout out to my brother. He did all the work and the food he prepared was all healthy and delicious. Thank you "Uncle Dan"! My children LOVE Thanksgiving because of you!

I always like to end with a quote.
"Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude."



No comments:

Post a Comment